Out of Acadia
Landscape Photography Conference
October 10-14, 2021
Image by John Putnam
From the mountains to the seasides, experience this 5 day, hands-on, autumn landscape photography conference shooting side-by-side with the pros.
Immerse yourself in the awe of nature at Acadia, one of America’s first National Parks. From glacier-scoured granite peaks to fall-covered woodlands, towering pines and rocky beaches, explore, learn and push your creativity as you photograph landscapes, textures and forms from sunrise to sunset and into the night, including Bass Harbor Lighthouse, Cadillac Mountain, Boulder Beach and more. All is conveniently located minutes from charming Bar Harbor, making it a perfect destination to spark your creative soul.
Learn from some of the world's best nature photographers
“It was an amazing week. In all different kinds of ways. You learn a ton of information from phenomenal photographers. It’s something for everyone.”
What makes this conference unlike any others? You will be staying in Bar Harbor, Maine, the gateway to Acadia National Park, where each day you will experience spectacular landscapes and shoot side-by-side with over twelve of the best landscape and nature photographers in the world. Each day choose where you want to go and what you want to photograph. From oceanside cliffs to mountain forests, you won’t want to miss out on any of these epic photography experiences.
- Techniques for seascape, landscape and flower photography
- Capturing great light
- Find your photographic style
- Slowing down and going beyond the iconic shot
- Using ND filters for long exposures
- Capture tack sharp images every time
- Composing intimate scenes to grand landscapes
- Techniques for dramatic night photography
- Processing for dramatic black and white images
- Workflow from capture to print
- Post-processing secrets of the pros
- And much more
LOCATION & ACCOMMODATION
Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine
Bar Harbor, Maine is the gateway to Acadia National Park where you will experience spectacular landscapes and photograph everything from oceanside cliffs to mountain forests, sand beaches and hidden gardens. You will stay at the Atlantic Oceanside in Bar Harbor, an oceanside hotel that is set-up as a perfect basecamp for photographers, with first-class conference facilities and accommodation with ocean views. The surrounding area provides even more opportunities to photograph the local fishing community nearby, from lobster fishermen to lobster pots, buoys and nets. This was the location of our very first landscape conference and we are super excited to return to learn, play and be inspired.
“When talking about the magic of Acadia, locals and visitors alike often suggest there is something about this coastal park that grabs a hold of your heart and doesn’t let go.”
– COLLEEN MINIUK, Photographing Acadia National Park
Reserve with a deposit of $1000. The remaining balance is due 90 days before the event. Event is limited to 100 attendees. Price does not include hotel, airfare, transportation or National Park Pass.
Opening Night Lobster Bake Dinner
3 Lunches | 1 Closing Breakfast
Hands-on instruction from the top photographers in the field
Daily hands-on classes, in-the-field excursions and image reviews
Customized schedule to fit your interests
Private Out of Acadia online community to connect with your fellow photographers to coordinate carpools
What’s not included?
Does not include airfare, transportation or National Park Pass.
“Thank you for enriching our lives by bringing us all together with such beautiful, passionate instructors. They gave us so much inspiration. So many life lessons. Not just photography.”
Frequently Asked Questions
You can fly into Bangor, Maine (1 hr drive), Portland, Maine (3 hr drive) or directly to Bar Harbor’s regional airport through Boston but it’s a small plane and has limited flights.
Guests can make reservations for the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel by visiting www.AOBarHarbor.com. We recommend everyone stay here, since this is the conference venue, and part of the fun is hanging out with photographer friends and instructors, eating breakfast and sharing the elevator together as you start and end each day. Alternatively, you can save a little money by staying across the street at the Bar Harbor Motel or Acadia Inn.
Information regarding booking and special rates is coming soon.
Excursion groups will carpool together to each location. We may make changes based on COVID-19 status in 2021.
We’ll photograph lighthouses, seascapes, gardens, mountains, forest trails, tide pools, rocky cliffs, lobster boats, lobster traps and so much more in Acadia. Acadia and Bar Harbor are an amazingly diverse photography location.
Some of the excursions will have almost no walk. You get out of the car and start shooting from the overlook. Other excursions require a hike. We will split the group to accomodate all hiking abilities when necessary.
Typically, highs are around 60 with lows in the 40s.
Be sure to bring appropriate weather gear. Remember that bad weather often makes the best images. Schedules will be re-arranged as needed to accommodate extreme weather conditions but most field sessions will go out in the rain.
Photography enthusiasts and pros. All levels of passionate photographers are welcome. Just be ready to eat, sleep and drink landscape photography for five days.
We recommend Photographing Acadia National Park: The Essential Guide to When, Where, and How, authored by Colleen Miniuk and The Photographer’s Guide to Acadia eBook by Michael Hudson.
You’ll want a DSLR or mirrorless camera and a tripod. We’ll share detailed equipment recommendations before the event. A laptop is suggested so you can work on your images during the post-processing and critique sessions.
You bet! Throughout the week we will eat meals together, go out to dinner in Bar Harbor and photograph together in small groups. There will be plenty of time to ask questions and hang out with your favorite photographers.
This is a hands-on, immersive photography experience. We’re not going to bring you all the way to Acadia to sit in a classroom watching something you could watch in bed on Youtube. Over five days, you’ll learn new techniques in the field while shooting with some of the world’s best photographers. There is classroom time available to practice post-processing and to get feedback on images, but you’ll be in the field most of the time. There are plenty of options available each day for you to create a schedule that matches your interests, inside and outside the classroom.
Of course! They are welcome to join us for the group presentations at no charge. The in-the-field teaching excursions are limited to ten people and are reserved for conference attendees only. A meal pass will be offered at an additional charge so that they can join us for group meals.
(These guidelines may change as the Covid-19 situation evolves)
- Full-group classroom sessions will be taught online in the days leading up to the event. These sessions will be recorded to view later. This will give us even more instruction time in the field compared to our typical events.
- All in-person sessions will be limited to 15 or fewer people gathering at the same time. Seating will be provided to space people at least 6 feet apart.
- Attendees may drive themselves to locations or we will coordinate carpools with participants wearing masks.
- Masks or face coverings are required by all staff, instructors and attendees indoors and when we are unable to socially distance outdoors.
- Group meals will be served so that you we can spread out or take your meal back to your room.
- Soap, hand sanitizer and face coverings will be provided when necessary.
- We will monitor the temperature of all participants using a no-touch thermometer each day.
- We will provide instruction in an outdoor setting when possible and maximize ventilation indoors.
Please follow the CDC guidelines and stay home if:
- You have tested positive for COVID-19 or are showing COVID-19 symptoms.
- You have had close contact with a person who has symptoms of COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Please see our updated refund policy in case you choose not to attend or the state regulations do not allow our event to run with this format.